Did you know you could enhance your SMS marketing with QR codes? QR codes have become more prevalent in the United States in recent years, now that most smartphones have a QR code scanner built right into the camera. As QR codes become commonplace, many businesses have started using them as tools in their marketing channels.
QR code reach grew 96 percent from 2018 and 2020. The number of interactions also surged by 94 percent, meaning users often scan QR codes more than once, indicating how convenient QR codes are.
Short for “quick response” code, a QR code is a black-and-white symbol that can hold links, coupons, event details and other helpful information. Toyota first designed the QR code in 1994 to track cars during the manufacturing process, but the simple, highly readable design makes it a versatile tool for marketing.
Today we’ll go over seven QR code marketing benefits and how they can boost any SMS marketing strategy to reach a larger audience.
1. QR Codes Help Build Your SMS Audience
With so many potential applications of QR codes, businesses have focused on using QR codes for SMS marketing to grow their subscriber lists and provide valuable information to their audience.
How Customers Join Your SMS List
The most common way for consumers to sign up for an SMS marketing list is by texting an SMS keyword to a short code, a 5- or 6-digit phone number explicitly used to send SMS or MMS text marketing campaigns to mobile phones. For example, “Text JOIN to 123456” is a popular option because JOIN is easy to remember.
Compared to texting a keyword to a short code, scanning a QR code is faster and simpler. In addition, you can automate the text message sign-up process by sending pre-populated opt-in messages, making it easier for customers to follow through.
You might want to consider providing both an SMS keyword and a QR code for your customers to subscribe to your text marketing campaigns. If someone cannot scan a QR code, giving them multiple sign-up options ensures you won’t miss out on subscribers.
2. QR Codes Are Easy to Generate
Numerous QR code generators are available online, making adding QR codes to your marketing strategy painless. Some of our favorite QR code generators are:
- Create QR Code by Google App Engine
- Beaconstac’s QR code generator
- QR Code Generator
- QRCode Monkey
- Free QR Code Generator by Shopify
When choosing a QR code generator, consider other features you might want to use. For example, many QR code generators allow you to create custom QR codes that align with your brand. You can even display logos and other visual elements in a QR code to give users a mini-preview of the information stored in the code.
3. QR Codes Can Be Strategically Placed
Adding QR codes to your marketing strategy is easy -- you can even use existing marketing materials to feature your code. Add QR codes to posters, flyers, banners, menus and even napkins to maximize your reach to your customers.
4. QR Codes Hold More Data Than Barcodes
While QR codes have become more widely used, traditional barcodes are still the standard for optimized inventory management. Here are three main differences between QR codes and barcodes:
- QR codes are square. Barcodes are usually rectangular, so they need to be scanned horizontally. In comparison, QR codes are typically square-shaped so that a QR code scanner can read them from more angles.
- QR codes contain more data. Due to its square shape, a QR code can hold hundreds of times more encrypted characters than a barcode. This large storage capacity helps QR codes communicate valuable information to consumers, like website URLs and business contact information.
- QR codes are used differently. Barcodes are primarily used by businesses to store crucial product information for inventory tracking at the point of sale. QR codes are much more versatile since they can share anything from store coupons and product landing pages to location data and event links.
5. QR Codes Are Easy to Use
QR codes make it incredibly simple for users to access information since all you need is a smartphone and an internet connection. When QR codes first entered more mainstream usage in the late 2000s, users had to download a separate QR code scanner app to use them. Today, users need only focus their camera on the QR code and click the prompt — no extra app necessary.
6. QR Codes Can Track Marketing Campaigns
You can also use QR codes to track the performance of your marketing efforts. Create a specific QR code for each marketing campaign and then evaluate how well each code performs against other channels.
7. QR Codes Offer Customer Convenience
One of the most significant QR code marketing benefits is how much you can use them. QR codes can prompt a device to dial a business’s phone number, send a message, or view a business’s location, providing an exceptional customer experience.
Ready to Start Using QR Codes In Your Mobile Marketing Strategy?
Although QR codes had a slow start when they first entered the market, they have become a powerful, convenient marketing tool for businesses to connect with their customers. If you’re ready to improve your SMS marketing with QR codes, then Textedly can help.
Textedly offers powerful SMS marketing features in an easy-to-use platform that makes it simple to start texting your customers today. In addition to features like auto-reply texts, appointment reminders and mass group texting, you can add QR codes to your marketing messages so subscribers can engage with your brand right away.