If you’re satisfied with their product or service, you may want to leave a review on Google for a local business. But how does this process work?
In this helpful guide, we’ll explore how to leave a review on Google from your smartphone or your desktop computer. We’ll also break down a few frequently asked questions about the Google review process, starting with whether or not you can leave a Google review without a Google account.
Don’t worry—while learning how to do a Google review for a business can seem intimidating, it’s a quick, simple process that can significantly benefit your favorite local brand.
Table of Contents
- Leaving a Google Review on Your Smartphone
- Leaving a Google Review on Your Desktop
- Can You Leave a Google Review without a Google Account?
- Google Review FAQs
Leaving a Google Review on Your Smartphone
Using your smartphone (Apple or Android) to leave a Google review is simple:
- Open the Google maps app or Google maps in a browser window.
- Apple users can use the Safari app.
- Android users can use the built-in Google maps app or the Chrome app.
- Search for the business and tap it on the map.
- If there are multiple locations, make sure to choose the correct one.
- At the bottom of the page, tap the business’s name or address.
- Tap reviews, which will reveal five empty stars.
- Leave your review by:
- Choosing a star rating out of five
- Adding text details about your review in the space provided
- Uploading photos
- Answering the questions at the bottom of the page (not always applicable)
While including additional text and photos is optional, consider providing them—especially if you’re leaving a very positive or very negative review.
Leaving a Google Review on Your Desktop
Leaving a Google review on your desktop is just as simple as the smartphone process:
- Open a browser window and navigate to Google Maps.
- Sign into your Google account (if you have one).
- Search for the business in the Google Maps search bar and click on it.
- On the left side of the page, scroll down and click “Write a review.”
- A star rating
- A description of your experience
- Photos relevant to your review
- Answers to the additional questions (not always applicable)
Once again, the text description and photos are optional, but they can create high-impact reviews. Plus, if you’re expecting the business to respond to a negative review, you should provide as much context as possible.
Can You Leave a Google Review without a Google Account?
While the steps for smartphones and desktops above include logging into a Google account, you don’t have to have one to leave a Google review.
You can still provide a star rating, write a description and provide photos—but the platform will ask you to enter an email address before accepting your review. You can enter any email address you like, and it doesn’t have to end with “@gmail.com.”
If you don’t have an email address, consider making one if you’d like to leave a review for a business. Most review platforms require an email address to leave feedback.
Google Review FAQs
While we’ve already addressed one above, let’s dive into other frequently asked questions about leaving a Google review.
Is My Personal Information Safe?
Leaving a Google review for a business is a relatively safe process. But, to protect yourself, consider the following:
- Google reviews require a name. You can’t leave an anonymous Google review, but you can use a pseudonym if you’d like. However, other customers might not trust reviews from names that don’t appear “credible.”
- If someone helps you leave a Google review, keep your password a secret from them. Your passwords should be kept confidential.
- Don’t reveal any personal information in your Google review. While your name (or pseudonym) will appear in the review, do your best to keep the information objective and free of other identifying information.
- All of your Google reviews are visible on your “About Me” page on Google, and they’re visible until you delete them.
How Long Do Google Reviews Take to Appear?
Google reviews are filtered and monitored for spam or suspicious activity. Sometimes this process is instant—in these cases, you’ll see your review right away.
But, if you don’t see your review as soon as you submit it, check back within 48 hours. Most reviews appear within that time, and if you still don’t see your review, Google’s moderation system may have accidentally deleted it.
If you suspect that this happened, wait a few days and try to leave another review with slightly different text. Remember to remove personal or identifying information from your review description before posting.
Can You Tell How Many People Have Seen Your Review?
Yes—you can tell how many people have seen your review.
- Use your smartphone and open the Google Maps app or browser website.
- Tap “+ Contribute” at the bottom of your screen.
- Below your name, you’ll see the number of your contributions—tap this text.
- You’ll see a list of your Google reviews, and each review will show its number of views.
The process is similar on desktop:
- Navigate to Google Maps and sign in to your account.
- Click the three horizontal lines at the top left of the page, and click “Your contributions.”
- Follow steps three and four above to see your view counts.
Can I Leave More Than One Google Review?
If you visit a business more than once, can you leave another review?
Unfortunately, you can only have one active review per business at a time. But, if you’d like your feedback to reflect a more recent experience, you have a few options:
- Delete your original Google review and post a new one.
- Leave a review on another review site like Yelp or the Better Business Bureau.
- Ask the business if they accept written testimonials on their website or over the phone.
Even if you’ve already left a Google review, you can help your favorite brand gain future business by contributing feedback elsewhere.
Google Reviews: A Simple Way to Support a Local Business
Leaving a Google review is an excellent way to provide feedback, assist future customers with making wise decisions before purchasing a product or service or help your favorite brand gain new customers and stay in business.
And, if you’re a business owner, the guide above is an excellent tutorial for your customers. Google reviews should be a critical consideration in your marketing plan.
When it’s time to amp up your marketing efforts, leverage the newest innovations to bring in new business—like text message marketing from Textedly. Our platform is simple, affordable and instant. You can start sending SMS or MMS messages to your current clients as soon as you create your Textedly account.
Google. Add, Edit, or Delete Google Maps Reviews and Ratings. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6230175?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid
Google. Add, Edit, or Delete Google Maps Reviews and Ratings. https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6230175?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&oco=0
Local Guides Connect. Want to See How Your Reviews Are Making an Impact?. https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Announcements/Want-to-see-how-your-reviews-are-making-an-impact/ba-p/612499
Neil Patel. 25 Review Sites to Get More Reviews for Your Business. https://neilpatel.com/blog/review-sites/