So, you’re ready to start texting your customers. But how do you send a professional text message across such an informal channel?
Before you begin texting people on behalf of your business, you need to read up on the rules of professional texting. Knowing how business texting differs from casual, everyday texting will help you maintain good standing with your customers and avoid crossing boundaries.
Read on to learn professional text message etiquette, including 20+ examples of professional text messages to inspire your first campaign.
When Should You Send a Professional Text Message?
Every text message you send customers should include a degree of professionalism. You’re reaching out to customers in a very personal way, and you want to avoid coming across as invasive or inappropriate.
Most SMS marketing platforms only allow 160 characters per text, so every message should be concise and actionable. As a rule of thumb, if you can’t fit your message within 160 characters, consider another channel to communicate it.
DO send a professional text message when you need to send:
- Time-sensitive information
- Company-wide staff updates
- Appointment confirmations, changes and reminders
- Polls, surveys or questionnaires
While you have plenty of opportunities to send a professional text message, some situations are better handled in person or over the phone. DON’T send a text message when you need to send:
- Employment updates, such as hiring or firing
- Thank-you notes
- Private information, such as medical test results
Professional Text Message Etiquette
Follow these rules to write a professional text message that builds trust:
- Get explicit permission. Texting a person who hasn’t opted in can result in upset customers and hefty legal fines. It’s illegal for a business to mass text people without their permission. Make sure you have received express written consent before texting your customers.
- Keep it brief. SMS marketing limits you to 160 characters per message, which can be hard to work with. Recipients should be able to read your message within a couple of seconds. Try to keep texts between 1-3 sentences.
- Don’t text too often. You should only text your customers as much as you’d be comfortable messaging your boss. Professional text messages should be sent within normal business hours, and you should never send more than one text at a time.
- Make it easy to reply. Your customers should know exactly what action you want them to take after reading your text. If you’re asking them a question, make it easy for them to reply with a simple “Yes” or “No.”
- Simplify your signature. Unlike email signatures, which allow you to fit your name, contact info, website and more, your text signature needs to be short and sweet. You only have 160 characters to work with, so you don’t want to waste half of them on a signature. Make sure every text includes your business name.
- Avoid slang and abbreviations. Many people use casual abbreviations like “OMG” and “LOL” when texting their friends and family. But abbreviations can come across as informal in a professional text message. Focus on writing clear, succinct sentences instead of resorting to slang to keep your character count down.
23 Professional Text Message Examples
Ready to start texting your customers but need some inspiration? Here are some examples of professional text messages to get you started.
Professional Marketing/Promotional Texts
1. Retail Offer: Happy Mother’s Day! 30% off floral arrangements this weekend only. Come by from 8am-6pm or shop online at localflowers.com. - Marie’s Flowers
2. Spa Offer: Limited Member Offer: Get 25% off your next massage when you refer a friend. Offer expires April 30. We hope to see you soon! - Your Local Spa
3. Medical Promotion: Modern Dentistry: Teeth whitening sessions are 2 for 1 if you book your first session before 9/15. Reply to this text to schedule your appointment!
4. Services Offer: Tony’s Landscaping: Get 20% off landscaping services during our Spring Cleaning sale. Offer expires 4/15. Text or call us today to book an appointment.
Professional Sales Texts
5. Apartment Leasing Offer: Thanks for touring Marea apartment community. We want to offer you 1 month rent free if you decide to sign. Text or call us to claim your free month.
6. Providing a Quote: Thanks for reaching out! Our average cleaning cost is $200-250. Please respond with the sq ft of your home for a detailed quote. Thank you!
7. Sales Follow-up: Hi John, are you still interested in a vacation rental for your July Hawaii trip? I can send you more info whenever you’re ready. Let me know. Thanks!
8. Autoresponse: Thanks for contacting us! We’ll get back to you ASAP. You can also schedule a meeting at mycalendar.com/book-meeting
Professional HR/Recruiting Texts
9. Interview Reminder: Your interview with National Finance is scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 5 at 10am. Ask for Patricia when you arrive. Please call this number with any questions.
10. Recruiting Text: Hi Paul, I have an entry-level marketing opportunity that fits what you’re looking for. Are you free this week to set up a call? – Mark
Professional Confirmation Texts
11. Hotel Booking: Thank you for booking your stay at Downtown Hotel for 3 nights, arriving 4/25. Confirmation #439G24K0. Please call to change your reservation.
12. Order Confirmation: Thank you for your purchase! We have received your payment for order #92381. - Outdoor Retail Shop
13. Appointment Confirmation: Thank you for booking your appointment. Please arrive 15 mins early to fill out a new patient intake form. Text or call us to reschedule. - Prestige Medical
14. Changes to Appointment/Reservation: Your appointment has been rescheduled to Fri, May 7 at 10am with Dr. Green. Please text or call us with any questions.
Professional Reminder Texts
15. Appointment Salon: You have a haircut tomorrow at 1:15pm with Rebecca. Any questions, please call 555-5555.
16. Payment Reminder: Your rental insurance payment is due on August 2. Please visit insurancecompany.com/pay-now to make your payment. Thank you!
Professional Staff Communication
17. Event/Conference Notification: Tickets are now available for the Corporate Conference. RSVP before June 10 to get a special gift! More details at: ourcompany.com/conference
18. Meeting Changes: Hi Cathy – The marketing all-hands meeting has been postponed to March 17 at 10am. Look for a new itinerary in your email inbox this week.
19. Seasonal Greetings: Happy Holidays! Thank you for being a valued team member. Show this text at Midtown Restaurant and get 30% off your meal. Sincerely, Your Manager.
20. Staff Requests: Hi Michelle, are you available for a late shift on Saturday? If so, please call Mike (HR) at 555-5555.
Professional Banking/Financial Texts
21. Balance Information: Regional Bank: Your account balance is $947.20. For more information, log into: regionalbank.com/accounts.
22. Fraud Alert: Western Bank: We noticed unusual activity on your account ending in -4992. Please call us back as soon as possible to secure your account.
23. Transaction Alert: Your payment to City Café has been made on 3/18/20 for the amount of $9.28. Your account balance is now $752.65.
How to Send Professional Text Messages
Are you eager to start connecting with your customers where they’re already spending most of their time?
Textedly makes it easy to send professional text messages to your customers. With the ability to send one-off messages or mass group texts, Textedly allows you to customize an SMS marketing plan that works for your business.
Plus, Textedly is one of the only companies that allows you to send up to 300 characters per message instead of the traditional 160-character limit.